Umuzi is hiring a Junior Data Analyst/ Data Scientist for its growing Data Science and Engineering Departments. The successful applicant will join a rapidly growing team based in Johannesburg or Cape Town, training the next generation of full-stack web developers, data scientists and data engineers for South Africa.
Qualities we are looking for in a candidate:
● Teaching or mentoring experience.
● Passionate about supporting youth development in tech.
● Experience with one or more of the following environments: Linux, Python, SQL, R,Tableau, PowerBI.
● Knowledge of basic statistical techniques, data wrangling, quality control and visualisation.
● Knowledge of supervised and unsupervised learning techniques.
● Creative problem solver who thrives in a flexible work environment.
Preference will be given to candidates with:
1-2 years work experience
Experience with database administration, cloud platforms or web frameworks (Django/ Flask) is a plus
● Mentor and teach data science and engineering recruits on all technical skills listed above.
● Manage a growing team of facilitators.
● Manage products, overseeing sprints and liaising with product owners.
● Work with administration staff to comply with SETA national certificate standards.
● Day-to-day department administration.
● Develop and review curriculum assignments, with assistance from senior managers.
● Build and maintain contacts in South Africa’s tech industry(attend meet-ups and hackathons with recruits).
PLEASE NOTE: This is a full-time position with competitive pay based on experience.